Crossword puzzle No.17
1. This is one China's most important rivers (5,2).
4. This high-gloss varnish originated in China in the Zhou Dynasty, but was used largely during the Ming period when as many as 250 layers were used.
7. A branch of this major financial institution is opposite the Bund (4,2,5).
9. This department store, first seen in Shanghai in 1916, now has a new store close to the original building on Nanjing Lu.
10. If you are this, you will be able to tell a good Beijing Duck from a bad one.
11. This female animal sounds like she's in the money.
13. This would really spoil a calligrapher's day.
15. If you're not into the latest movies, The Cathay Theater and the Huangguan Yongle Cinema might be showing these.
16. To look at, most sumo wrestlers are this.
17. This Hong Kong Governor openly showed his emotions on the day the British colony was handed back to the Chinese.
22. The George Orwell book which depicted a totalitarian world was named after one of the year's belonging to this animal in the Chinese zodiac.
24. Over-enthusiastic fan.
25. Every one and a half seconds, for 69 years and five months, Charles Osborne of Iowa, US, had these.
26. This shrine, the oldest in Hong Kong, is on the corner of Ladder St and Hollywood Rd (3,2,6).
27. Eve was led astray by this.
28. This Swiss woman first modeled heads of famous people using heads from decapitated bodies while imprisoned in France during the Reign Of Terror.
1. These vehicles are used in funerals.
2. This plant is prized for its curative properties.
3. Worn away.
4. This fruit is readily available along China's south east coast during summer.
5. To sample some of the best of this in Shanghai, book a table at the Yongjiang Zhuangyuan Lou or the Hai Yu Lan Ge Shanghai Restaurant in the Hotel Sofitel Hyland.
6. These are unusually large on Chinese junks and can be raised or lowered according to the depth of the water.
7. Hosting a party? You can book a private one of these at the Peace Hotel (7,4).
8. Also called zhenjiu, this is a popular type of treatment for back pain, migraines or arthritis.
12. Performances of this can be seen at the Shanghai Centre Theater.
14. This synonym for donkey's years has nothing to do with the Chinese zodiac.
15. Nien Cheng wrote in Life and Death in Shanghai: "The streets were in a ferment of activity. Groups of --- Guards were explaining to clusters of onlookers the meaning and purpose of the Cultural Revolution."
17. These buildings are believed to have been introduced into China from India along with Buddhism.
18. Do you put business lunches on this type of account?
20. And if so, are you clever enough to make sure your boss does this when you submit the paperwork?
21. Zhou Enlai did this at 73 Sinan Lu, Shanghai.
22. A popular example of this is Moganshan.
23. A New York Times editorial in 1985 included the statement: "Fear and ignorance about AIDS can so weaken people's senses as to make them susceptible to an equally virulent ------: bigotry."
See the Solution for puzzle 17
HACKED BY MASOUD
Hacked By Taha_66@hotmail.fr
Hacked By Taha_66@hotmail.fr
Print out the page to do the crossword